Saturday, April 25, 2009

Linux: Share folders from windows to Kubuntu

I had a little trouble sharing my folders from windows to kubuntu, so with a little digging around i found this command that'll create a folder that'll link to your networkdrive. Of course you can change the location of where you want the mount to which ever folder
sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=james,password=bond //FileServer/Files /home/james/shares/FileServer
Of course if you do this, you may want to give your windows box a static ip, or use the name of the computer instead of the ip address.

To have this network folder permanently mounted, edit your /etc/fstab file to add
//FileServer/Files /home/james/shares/FileServer cifs username=james,password=bond 0 0

Curious tho that it uses cifs rather than smbfs, but i read somewhere that its being deprecated...

*******note: I was trying this on my work laptop, trying to mount a server folder onto my local system, and I kept getting this error in my syslog (/var/log/syslog)
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
Turns out, it was because i didn't have the smbfs package installed. i don't know why it would have just said that, but in either case simply running
sudo apt-get install smbfs
Fixed it right up

No comments: